Monday 17 November 2014

InDesign Practice

Using Adobe InDesign we work towards learning how to make a print publication in a Swiss Style with the grid method and minimal colours. After this we worked on our own poster design learning the skills we picked up.



Before this practice on InDesign, I had only used it for very basic interactive activities and I hadn't used it for designing anything based on a particular movement with specific rules and layouts. The only practice I'd had at designing posters in a Swiss style was by hand so I just used rulers and coloured pencils. Using InDesign makes it more specific therefore neater and closer to the style of the movement. 


As a class we all followed the steps to create a poster in a Swiss grid style. The content of the poster isn't relevant except from the title and small piece of text underneath, just to get some contrast between different sizes of text and how to lay them out. We worked with differnt layers making sure the background colour, title text and the main body text were all on different layers, just focussing on one at a time.


After creating a vertical, four columned grid and using filler text to fill up each column, we had to rotate the grid 35 degrees so that it reflected the Swiss style we were inspired by. By dragging the points on each corner of the text boxes on the grids, we were able to make the text legible and fit in the rotated grid.


After learning the basic structure of a Swiss style poster on InDesign, I started to work on one of my paper poster designs that happened to be a Swiss style to make my design more complete. Above is the start of my effort to create my poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment